Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Phishing E-mail Procedures

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 10:31:17 -0600

It depends entirely on what you plan to do with the phishing emails once users have submitted them to you. For example:

1) Forward them to your anti-spam vendor so that they can improve their detection. Your vendor probably already has an automated process for this, so there's little need for your security group to be a middleman (costly and adds a delay). So, you should automate this if you can.

2) If the phish is the type that asks users to reply via email with their credentials, then you can take action by scanning outbound email logs to see if users are replying to the scams. Better yet, add the reply address to the APER list (https://code.google.com/p/anti-phishing-email-reply/) and use the full APER list for outbound mail log scanning.

3) If the phish is a link to a web form, then you can try to get the form shut down, etc.

4) You can monitor trends. Is your anti-spam vendor not catching enough? Get on the phone and complain loudly. Are your users not realizing the messages are scams? Improve your mitigation process by modifying the subject/body of the scams, for example. Are your users too gullible? Start educating them. Etc.

Also, keep in mind that users don't know to distinguish from phishing targeted at your edu resources, vs personal resources (such as banks). So you'll be wading through a bunch of submissions that are out of your purview.

Jesse
(Wisconsin-Madison)