Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physical HDD destruction

From: "Perry, Jeff" <perry () KU EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 21:33:53 +0000

We have two different degausser that we use in-house.  One is small and very fast (10 seconds) for one off drives/tapes
(but packs a 9,000 Oe punch).  The other is a larger system that can do physically large media (old drives, tape, whole
laptops) or a large number of drives all at once that we use for batch processing.

We were concerned with space requirements and noise so we opted to go the degausser route over shredders.

Make sure if you consider degaussers that you get one that:

a.)    Is commonly bought and used by high compliance organizations (Government, Banking Industry, Health Care)

b.)    Has a very high magnetic field rating as some modern media is incredibly resistant to mag fields (i.e. you can't
pass an old VHS eraser magnet over them)

c.)     Has a good duty cycle as some of cheaper brands/models take 10+ minutes to charge up between cycles

d.)    Has a good warranty/maintenance contract (they tend to beat themselves up over time as there is almost always
some ferrous metal attached to the drives that can't be easily removed)

We've been very happy with Garner Products and have some units that have been in use for years and have done thousands
and thousands of cycles.
http://www.garner-products.com/

As an aside we handle all e-waste pickups internally.  One of the critical success factors for us was to make it very
simple for our departments to "do it right" without introducing undo risk.  We (IT) pickup the equipment at a scheduled
time free of charge, sign for custody/University Asset Disposal Forms, and we transport and dismantle the system in a
very secure location and immediately pass the drive through a degassuer.  The drive can then sit until we have enough
to schedule a pickup with our ewaste recycler.

We do have an alternate path that allows for departments to wipe the disks and reuse them under certain situations
(based on data classification) using an approved tool but we've found that due to MTBF ratings and cost it's typically
more cost effective to destroy the drive unless it's very new (labor is expensive).

Cheers,
Jeff Perry

Jeff Perry, CISSP
Deputy Technology Officer
Information Technology
The University of Kansas
Direct +1 785-864-0489
Fax    +1 785-864-0485
Email perry () ku edu<mailto:perry () ku edu>