Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI & VOIP Soft Phones

From: Mike Leach <mjl9 () PSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 09:36:11 -0400

Good morning Bob,

The PCI Council document Tom shared is helpful in making determinations on
how to secure your voice systems that have cardholder data. The
interpretation we've received on whether VoIP systems are in-scope or out
was: If the VoIP system is a replacement for an analog system, such that
the spoken credit card number is the only means card holder data is
transmitted, it can remain out of scope. If you start adding features like
call recording, Computer Telephony Integration (data dips), etc. the VoIP
system comes into scope.

As others have said, consulting a QSA on this matter would be best. They
will review the details specific to your deployment.  Without knowing any
more detail than you provided and based upon our experience and
discussions with our QSA on similar topics, including a soft phone on the
same terminal/network as the credit card processing would certainly bring
elements of the VoIP system into scope. How much of the system would be in
scope would depend upon your VoIP architecture.

On the other hand if they want call center features on either a hard or
soft VoIP phone that could bring your VoIP system into scope as well. If
that is the case a separate hard phone may not buy you any savings in cost
or compliance effort.

Thank you,

Mike Leach
PCI Compliance Coordinator