Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rethinking the DMZ

From: "Haines, Ena" <ena () TC COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 13:53:48 -0400

One can understand why the network gurus say we shouldn't do elaborate
firewalling at the network level, but rather  close down the hosts. If a
department has one or two servers, fine, let them be responsible for
locking it down. If the IT dept has 250 servers managed by 3 or 4 admins,
then what? Are any of your server admin teams happy with a system for
managing the "personal firewall" on each server? Can you set it locally and
forget it every time you deploy a new server? Don't your port requirements
change as ours do when there's an app upgrade or a middleware upgrade, etc.?

Some days it seems as though it's really about manageability.

*V. Ena Haines*
*Director of Information Technology*
*Teachers College, Columbia University*
*525 West 120th Street*