Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Rethinking the DMZ

From: Brian Helman <bhelman () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:59:22 +0000

Our model is for all inter-subnet traffic to traverse the firewalls, even if the firewall is just passing the traffic
w/o anything other than an “ALLOW/PERMIT” rule.  The FW also acts as an IDS/IPS and has Data Loss Prevention/Protection
capabilities.  This model, while throwing A LOT of traffic through the FW, allows a good deal of visibility for us on
the network when things do to wrong.

As far as rule bases, most of our rules deal with inbound traffic and/or data center traffic.  By using a NGFW, we only
allow certain applications to hit our servers.  This keeps rogue processes from being spawned, in the event that
something is compromised.  In essence, the whole network in a DMZ.

Security, by its very nature, is supposed to be a paranoid topic.  Even if we’re being liberal about the statistics,
we’d be 50/50 on internal/external attacks, etc.  I think the idea of a border-only FW is not much of a security
measure as it is a minimal security effort.  The whole Zero Trust Networking principal that (I think) Forrester
Research is pushing is something we subscribe to.  We have had discussions about moving to a perimeter firewall and
controlling internal traffic via ACL’s.  This would remove IDS/IPS functionality and create a huge overhead.  Central
(or minimal) management is key for quick response .. whether that response is to a FW change request, or tracking down
malicious activity.

-Brian Helman