Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Outbound E-mail rate limiting for users

From: "Kincaid, Chris" <chris_kincaid () REDLANDS EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:53:54 -0800

Colleagues,

Do any of you limit the amount of outbound e-mails a user can send in a given time?  The reason I ask is we are
attempting to throttle outbound messages to cut off before we send out 75k spam messages in an afternoon, and then get
blacklisted.  We use proofpoint, and they have a patch to throttle down outbound users after a threshold is crossed. I
just don't want to set it too tight and cut off anyone legitimately sending out messages

Thanks,
Chris Kincaid, MBA
Associate Director, Enterprise Services|Information Technology Services
[cid:image001.gif@01CDD880.819372F0]
1200 East Colton Avenue |Redlands, CA 92373-0999