Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Oxford and Google Apps

From: Mike Porter <mike () UDEL EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 09:39:45 -0500

On Tue, 19 Feb 2013, David Opitz wrote:

After one wide-spread, well-written phishing attempt that tried to trick users into going to Googledocs, I looked up the IP addresses
of docs.google.com and blocked them at our firewall.  I was just planning to do it for one day, until the threat was past.  It
wasn't long until I started getting complaints that users (mostly students) could not get to Youtube.  It took me a few minutes
to realize that I had also blocked Google's Youtube IP addresses.  I won't be doing that again.

It is so frustrating that when you click the "report abuse" button on a Google doc that it takes a week for the document to
get taken down.  Is Google just that slow?  Sometimes I cheer myself up by thinking that Google is investigating the person who
created the doc somehow, but I've never heard anything that says that it the case.

Google does what it is in Google's best interests to do.  All the
majors act the same way.  It is interesting to read a phishing
message from a GoogleApps account.

Mike Porter
Systems Programmer V
IT/NSS