Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FW: SHODAN Higher Ed Access

From: John Bambenek <bambenek.infosec () GMAIL COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:08:09 -0500

Is the "free" access to search our own campuses, or to search anything?

On 4/25/13 9:51 AM, David Treble wrote:
FYI – I'm sure some of you are familiar with SHODAN.  You may not be
aware that they are offering free access to Universities and Colleges.

The request is through an email to John  (jmath () surtri com
<mailto:jmath () surtri com>).

1. Set up Shodanhq account.
2. Contact John as your universities representative, and ask him how you
can take advantage of the offer for Universities to obtain full access.
3. He will ask which account belongs to your university, tell him the
account you've set up.

http://www.shodanhq.com/

It looks like he might be handling these requests on his own so a
sudden surge might take a bit to process.

Thanks to my colleague at Western who passed along the tip to our
Canadian Universities security list.

For those who don't know, Shodan its a 'hackers' search engine.  Here
are some presentations with more detail:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cg34w8b_m4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pyi1mwowPUo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vEtcWuFoiA

DT

--
/David Treble    IT Security Coordinator/