Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: OpenDNS Users

From: "Santabarbara, Angelo" <asantabarbara () SIENA EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 10:55:22 -0400

We have been using the free version of OpenDNS since October 2012.  I had
used OpenDNS in my previous position outside higher ed for over two years
prior to that.  We have definitely seen a major drop in compromised
accounts.  OpenDNS has had a hand in this, but we also executed an
education campaign that also helped limit the number of compromised
accounts.  Performance wise, we actually experienced higher levels of
performance for the initial DNS query, but once said domain was cached in
our internal DNS servers, the performance would obviously be the same.  One
suggestion would be to educate your help desk to report any new phishing
attempts to phishtank.com and to actively vote up submitted reports
(phishtank is run by OpenDNS but is used by many security companies to
proactively block confirmed phishing attempts).

Angelo D. Santabarbara
Director of Networks & Systems
Siena College
518-782-6996
ASantabarbara () siena edu

***Siena ITS staff will NEVER ask for your password or other confidential
information via email.***

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail, including any attachments, is for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or
distribution is prohibited. If you received this e-mail and are not the
intended recipient, please inform the sender by e-mail reply and destroy
all copies of the original message.

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Greg Schmalhofer <