Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: OpenDNS Users

From: "Santabarbara, Angelo" <asantabarbara () SIENA EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 12:32:09 -0400

Yes the implementation is simply to add it as a forwarder on internal DNS
servers.  We did consider the pay for product prior to them releasing the
"Umbrella service."  I think it would be very useful for the community as
that version also blocks known malware hosting sites.  Problem for us was
the budgetary cost as it is charged by total FTE count.

We really didn't have any web/application problems.  The big difference was
the "intercept page" that is displayed when a domain is blocked.  We
customized it and notified our community about it and it worked out fine.
 I recommend you start with the free version and then you can look at all
the analytics provided to get a scope of the amount of malware traffic that
would be blocked in addition to the phishing/botnet traffic blocked for
free.