Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recent Phishing Uptick

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 23:41:35 +0000

If the message targets your institution by name and provides a link that looks like your real login pages, then I think
the risk is high that they are going after something like Direct Deposit changes for the victim employees.   If they
get a victim they login FAST with the credentials they just got and they change the bank code so the next paycheck goes
to them.  They also move the deposit out of their account to other places quickly.

See the report about our victimization this way, at:
 http://it.usu.edu/computer-security/computer-security-threats/articleID=23694

Bob Bayn         SER 301         (435)797-2396       IT Security Team
Office of Information Technology,                   Utah State University
    Do you know the "Skeptical Hover Technique" and
    how to tell where a web link really goes?  See:
    https://it.usu.edu/computer-security/computer-security-threats/articleID=23737