Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recent Phishing Uptick

From: Brandon Hume <brandon.hume () DAL CA>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:03:15 -0400

On 02/19/14 10:55 PM, Gary Warner wrote:
Your "Modify the spam before delivering" trick is awesome!  Which mailsystem are you using, and can you share a bit
more about your technique?

For those organizations using MS Office 365, it's possible to do the same in Exchange Online, using a "Mail Flow" rule and a prepended disclaimer. I've just implemented the same myself.

Dalhousie has seen phenomenal spike in phishing activity from September though November and again in January. The spike after Christmas meant close to twenty accounts being shut down per week (I am not proud of our userbase). The culprits seemed to be the standard Nigerian gang who's been working us over for close to a decade now, although I've seen more participants from Malaysia and Israel. These guys seem to *know* how we work... I've even started to suspect that they've noticed the cycle in our responsiveness: they lay low when I'm on-call and they'll go at it hard when someone who's less email-oriented is carrying the pager. Swapping our schedules around trips them up.

Spam content is your typical fake lottery stuff, charities, and so on. There was a lot of leveraging going on... phishing spam sent from other institutions getting our users, and then our users being used to phish other colleges and universities, in one big glorious chain of "ugh". Before Christmas, there was a lot of hostile fire aimed at blackboard.com, both in outbound phishing spam and in fake Bb sites set up in our student webspace. But that seems to have tapered off... I don't know if Bb has changed anything on their side to make themselves less vulnerable.

The main "new" thing we've noticed is that these guys are using their stolen credentials with an institution's offered VPN services in order to access stolen credentials on somebody's else's SMTP relay. Our VPN was being used to spew to other universities, and our smtp relay was being exploited from VPNs located at other .edus, for example.

A bit of trivia: I'm certain at one of these guys is named "Abdul Rasheed". If you log your email destinations, you might find them testing your outbound filters. They don't try to hide very hard... one address was "hack_abdul.rasheed", another was "voyage_smtp_test", and their goals are pretty well explained by email addresses like "more_fundz" or "swiftcash". :P