Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WSJ Article - A Contrarian View on Data Breaches

From: John Kristoff <jtk () CYMRU COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 09:19:41 -0500

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 13:06:25 +0000
Peter Lundstedt <peter.lundstedt () DRAKE EDU> wrote:

Curious if anyone read the article in today's Wall Street Journal
titled A Contrarian View on Data Breaches.

The interviewees seem to have a viewpoint around what's best for
their bottom line and for their shareholders, rather than what may be
best for the cardholder.

That these points of view are highlighted and published in the WSJ is
not too terribly shocking.

Interested in others opinions.

I can't see the article since it is apparently behind a paywall, so I
can't evaluate it or critique it directly.  It appears that this is in
response to current or potential legislation to compel an organization
to disclose breaches.  That organizations or their allies would lobby
informally or ultimately directly against such a measure, or
practically most any form of regulation is to be expected.

I don't have a particular stance on whether organizations should or
should not be required to disclose.  I don't know the issues well
enough.  I will say that dirty laundry has a habit of finding its way
into the public view and if done without the organization responsible
leading the way, things can turn out much worse from a PR perspective.

The question is should the market or market regulation motivate
disclosure?  And is there room for compromise?  Sounds like a topic
worthy of discussion for any number of business and philosophy classes.

John