Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Duo Security concern -- EDU support requested

From: Cam Beasley <cam () UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 17:38:19 -0500

all —

i wanted to offer an update.
thanks to everyone who reached out to Duo about this.
i’ve included the unedited response from Duo below and have provided a few other related comments.

\\ UT Comments \\

1) it appears some institutions have created their own registration portal and maintain it themselves. UT Austin did
the same with a previous 2FA vendor and learned that this approach is not something we wanted to repeat with Duo. the
maintenance logistics were too great and we felt we should use Duo’s features. we admit that if someone built their own
tool they would be able to more easily track and react to events. again, we deemed the logistics of maintaining such a
tool too great and we do not have the resources for this.

2) some responses i’ve received indicate that other institutions rely on the admin portal to review and audit logs. our
concerns and responses revolve around using the API to get the information. not all of the things needed have been
available in the API but are available in the admin portal.  Duo has since mentioned that they all be deploying a
self-serve portal option in future.

3) Duo documentation currently states not to trust features available in the API until they are documented and that
they could change, appear or disappear at any time.
that said, they will be making changes to relax this position as they now implement versioning with their API.

4) we are not receiving change notifications. we would like to receive notification of when a feature is added (e.g. a
change log). Duo has noted that they will begin more proactive communications to customers regarding changes in API and
other areas of their product.

5) user Registration: we have reviewed findings regarding user registrations being available. it appears the API has
changed since we looked at it and we can now get user registration information from the authentication log.  this was
not presented to us when we spoke to Duo a week ago.  the documentation has not caught up to this feature being
available. given item #3, we do not know if this could change. we were never informed that this change occurred. this
is a feature request that we submitted.

6) user status changed to active status: we might have missed this one being available from the API, but it could have
been introduced after our last look.  it wasn’t mentioned by Duo as being available to us when we asked a week ago.

7) user status changed to locked out status: this doesn’t appear to be available. in our discovery, a log entry is not
generating at the actual occurrence of the lock. a log entry indicating a failed authentication due to a locked account
does occur.  for instance, a user fails to login five times, receives a failed login message, and each of those failed
attempts are logged. Duo will lock the account; but, a log message is not generated. then, on the sixth attempt, the
user will fail to login again; but, this time, the log states the reason as locked account.  Duo has said that they
will be expanding on the currently logging to address this.

\\ Duo Response \\

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We value your feedback and have engaged our Product Development and Security teams
to evaluate both the feasibility and security implications of your request.  It is important to note that we do not
view the features you are requesting as security gaps.

The events you mention below are logged in our system, and we are regularly looking at improving the administration
experience to surface emergent events.  Instructions on how to access this log data can be found at the end of this
note. In terms of proactive alerting, we are looking at this from two different perspectives: End Users and
Administrators.

End User Alerting
After careful consideration, we have decided not to pursue alerting end users for the following reasons:
        • With user registration, the user is fully involved in the enrollment process.
        • With user deregistration, deletion can only be invoked by an administrator.
        • If an adversary has compromised a device, end user notifications about status changes would be sharing
information that tips off the adversary as to how to proceed.
                • All four user statuses (active, bypass, disabled, locked out) empower adversaries with better
intelligence.
                • While an “active” status may convince an attacker to give up, a “bypass” status may encourage them to
proceed with their attempt to infiltrate an organization.
        • All four user statuses (active, bypass, disabled, locked out) are remediated by administrators, not by end
users. This is why we are prioritizing administrative logging and access to that data.
Ultimately, we want to minimize friction for end users to only aspects of the product that they can control themselves
(authentication, self-remediation, managing devices). We do see value in notifying end users about device registration
and/or deregistration on their Duo account. We will be exploring additional notifications through our Duo Mobile
application.

Administrator Alerting
We do plan to support Administrator alerts in two ways.
        • First, we know that many of our customers are using SIEMs, so we plan to publish an official Splunk module
this year. We are in the early planning stages right now, but we will share more details in Q3 of this year and will
reach out with questions around use cases.
        • Second, we are assessing in-product notifications for administrators; however, we want to be thoughtful about
how noisy this will be for our customers. We are going to start off with alerting around security notifications, and we
will grow capabilities from there. This is a longer term project.

In addition to the above, we are working on a complete refresh of our Dashboard in Q3 of this year.  One of the goals
of the redesign will be to improve our ability to surface actionable data for your administrators - for example, locked
out users that your help desk can work with immediately.

How to access log data
        • user registration (users)
                • For bulk enrollments: Users -> Pending Enrollments
                • For Admin Panel: Reports -> Administrator Actions -> user_create
                • Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                        • Action: “user_create”
        • user de-registration (phone)
                • For phone deletion: Reports -> Administrator Actions -> Disassociated phone
                • For user deletion: Reports -> Administrator Actions -> phone_delete
                • Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                        • Action:phone_disassociate
        • user status changed to locked out status
                • Reports -> Authentication Logs -> Disabled*
                • *We are in the process of updating this response to “Locked Out”
                • Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#authentication-logs
                        • Result: Failure | Reason: Locked Out
        • user status changed to active status
                • Reports -> Administrator Actions -> Click Modified User
                • Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                        • Action: user_update | Description: active
        • user status changed to bypass status
                • Reports -> Administrator Actions -> Click Modified User
                • Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                        • Action: user_update | Description: bypass
        • user status changed to disabled status
                • Reports -> Administrator Actions -> Click Modified User
                • Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                        • Action: user_update | Description: disabled

hope this helps,

~cam.