Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Duo Security concern -- EDU support requested

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 22:50:28 +0000

Cam,

We¹ve been pulling the Duo logs into our SIEM for more than a year via
some Python one of their customers wrote to pull logs via the API.

Brad Judy

Information Security Officer
Office of Information Security
University of Colorado
1800 Grant Street, Suite 300
Denver, CO  80203
Office: (303) 860-4293
Fax: (303) 860-4302
www.cu.edu <http://www.cu.edu/>

On 4/29/16, 4:38 PM, "The EDUCAUSE Security Constituent Group Listserv on
behalf of Cam Beasley" <SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU on behalf of
cam () UTEXAS EDU> wrote:

all ‹

i wanted to offer an update.
thanks to everyone who reached out to Duo about this.
i¹ve included the unedited response from Duo below and have provided a
few other related comments.

\\ UT Comments \\

1) it appears some institutions have created their own registration
portal and maintain it themselves. UT Austin did the same with a previous
2FA vendor and learned that this approach is not something we wanted to
repeat with Duo. the maintenance logistics were too great and we felt we
should use Duo¹s features. we admit that if someone built their own tool
they would be able to more easily track and react to events. again, we
deemed the logistics of maintaining such a tool too great and we do not
have the resources for this.

2) some responses i¹ve received indicate that other institutions rely on
the admin portal to review and audit logs. our concerns and responses
revolve around using the API to get the information. not all of the
things needed have been available in the API but are available in the
admin portal.  Duo has since mentioned that they all be deploying a
self-serve portal option in future.

3) Duo documentation currently states not to trust features available in
the API until they are documented and that they could change, appear or
disappear at any time.
that said, they will be making changes to relax this position as they now
implement versioning with their API.

4) we are not receiving change notifications. we would like to receive
notification of when a feature is added (e.g. a change log). Duo has
noted that they will begin more proactive communications to customers
regarding changes in API and other areas of their product.

5) user Registration: we have reviewed findings regarding user
registrations being available. it appears the API has changed since we
looked at it and we can now get user registration information from the
authentication log.  this was not presented to us when we spoke to Duo a
week ago.  the documentation has not caught up to this feature being
available. given item #3, we do not know if this could change. we were
never informed that this change occurred. this is a feature request that
we submitted.

6) user status changed to active status: we might have missed this one
being available from the API, but it could have been introduced after our
last look.  it wasn¹t mentioned by Duo as being available to us when we
asked a week ago.

7) user status changed to locked out status: this doesn¹t appear to be
available. in our discovery, a log entry is not generating at the actual
occurrence of the lock. a log entry indicating a failed authentication
due to a locked account does occur.  for instance, a user fails to login
five times, receives a failed login message, and each of those failed
attempts are logged. Duo will lock the account; but, a log message is not
generated. then, on the sixth attempt, the user will fail to login again;
but, this time, the log states the reason as locked account.  Duo has
said that they will be expanding on the currently logging to address this.

\\ Duo Response \\

Thank you for sharing your concerns. We value your feedback and have
engaged our Product Development and Security teams to evaluate both the
feasibility and security implications of your request.  It is important
to note that we do not view the features you are requesting as security
gaps.

The events you mention below are logged in our system, and we are
regularly looking at improving the administration experience to surface
emergent events.  Instructions on how to access this log data can be
found at the end of this note. In terms of proactive alerting, we are
looking at this from two different perspectives: End Users and
Administrators.

End User Alerting
After careful consideration, we have decided not to pursue alerting end
users for the following reasons:
      € With user registration, the user is fully involved in the enrollment
process.
      € With user deregistration, deletion can only be invoked by an
administrator.
      € If an adversary has compromised a device, end user notifications about
status changes would be sharing information that tips off the adversary
as to how to proceed.
              € All four user statuses (active, bypass, disabled, locked out) empower
adversaries with better intelligence.
              € While an ³active² status may convince an attacker to give up, a
³bypass² status may encourage them to proceed with their attempt to
infiltrate an organization.
      € All four user statuses (active, bypass, disabled, locked out) are
remediated by administrators, not by end users. This is why we are
prioritizing administrative logging and access to that data.
Ultimately, we want to minimize friction for end users to only aspects of
the product that they can control themselves (authentication,
self-remediation, managing devices). We do see value in notifying end
users about device registration and/or deregistration on their Duo
account. We will be exploring additional notifications through our Duo
Mobile application.

Administrator Alerting
We do plan to support Administrator alerts in two ways.
      € First, we know that many of our customers are using SIEMs, so we plan
to publish an official Splunk module this year. We are in the early
planning stages right now, but we will share more details in Q3 of this
year and will reach out with questions around use cases.
      € Second, we are assessing in-product notifications for administrators;
however, we want to be thoughtful about how noisy this will be for our
customers. We are going to start off with alerting around security
notifications, and we will grow capabilities from there. This is a longer
term project.

In addition to the above, we are working on a complete refresh of our
Dashboard in Q3 of this year.  One of the goals of the redesign will be
to improve our ability to surface actionable data for your administrators
- for example, locked out users that your help desk can work with
immediately.

How to access log data
      € user registration (users)
              € For bulk enrollments: Users -> Pending Enrollments
              € For Admin Panel: Reports -> Administrator Actions -> user_create
              € Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                      € Action: ³user_create²
      € user de-registration (phone)
              € For phone deletion: Reports -> Administrator Actions -> Disassociated
phone
              € For user deletion: Reports -> Administrator Actions -> phone_delete
              € Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                      € Action:phone_disassociate
      € user status changed to locked out status
              € Reports -> Authentication Logs -> Disabled*
              € *We are in the process of updating this response to ³Locked Out²
              € Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#authentication-logs
                      € Result: Failure | Reason: Locked Out
      € user status changed to active status
              € Reports -> Administrator Actions -> Click Modified User
              € Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                      € Action: user_update | Description: active
      € user status changed to bypass status
              € Reports -> Administrator Actions -> Click Modified User
              € Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                      € Action: user_update | Description: bypass
      € user status changed to disabled status
              € Reports -> Administrator Actions -> Click Modified User
              € Admin API: https://duo.com/docs/adminapi#administrator-logs
                      € Action: user_update | Description: disabled

hope this helps,

~cam.