Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: New Employee Security Training

From: James Valente <jvalente () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 19:41:04 +0000

We do.

Security does the training (it's organized by HR as part of an "orientation"
and we get 30 minutes for this PowerPoint + questions). I do about 80% of
them and our CISO does the rest. The training is usually done on the first
Tuesday of the following month (or 2 months if there aren't enough hires to
warrant a session) from the hire date.   Right now it only covers
administrative staff (not Faculty), which is unfortunate since Faculty tends
to be a huge part of the population that gets phished and/or infected-though
that may be because they don't get the training. I am working with HR to get
some sort of faculty training in place.

I'd say it works pretty well as a majority of the people who I see reporting
things to us are ones I remember from this training (or departments who
request the training for all). Additionally, I don't usually see people that
have sat through the training pop up on any notifications for malware or
being victims of a successful phish. Unfortunately I don't have stats
prepared to show this.

Thanks,
James Valente
Associate Director of Information Security
Salem State University
978.542.2739

GPG Fingerprint: B086 58B5 DE53 328A 210D 5F3D BF20 1E0A 813A EDD1