Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Do students hold universities accountable for protecting their information?

From: John Ramsey <jramsey () STUDENTCLEARINGHOUSE ORG>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 11:41:14 +0000

National Student Clearinghouse provides third party services to many of the universities and colleges.  Many (if not
most) of your schools are exceptionally diligent in ensuring that we’re protecting your students’ data.  I can say from
direct interaction with the schools, you do hold us to a high standard for protecting “your” students’ data.  I’d think
the accountability of third party services might range anywhere from a company that performs transcript services to a
company that provides cloud services (such as Office 365) or even something where student data is accessible via cloud
services or mobile devices.  Where I’m going with this is that as a third party, it seems as a results of student’s
holding universities accountable to protect their data, you’re holding third party services to a high standard to
ensure you’re accountable to not only the schools but the students and their parents.

John

John Ramsey, Chief Information Security Officer, National Student Clearinghouse
Certified:  CISSP, CISM, PMP, CSSLP, CRISC, CGEIT
2300 Dulles Station Blvd., Suite 220, Herndon, VA 20171
P: 703.742.4428  |   http://www.studentclearinghouse.org<http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/>
Read the Clearinghouse Today Blog<https://nscblog.org/>

Winner “2016 When Work Works” & “Excellence in Work-Life Balance”