Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: incident response tracking software

From: "STURGIS, JOHN" <JSTURGIS () MAILBOX SC EDU>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 18:51:39 +0000

Hi Bryan!

At UofSC, our Incident Handlers have been happy with TheHive<https://thehive-project.org/>.

However, since you have the opportunity to start from scratch, I highly recommend building in elements to analyze
incident trends outside of the response process. We favor VERIS<http://veriscommunity.net/howto.html> since it allows
us to cross-reference our incidents with Verizon’s Data Breach Investigations
Report<https://www.verizonenterprise.com/verizon-insights-lab/dbir/> as well as the
VCDB<https://github.com/vz-risk/VCDB> (a VERIS-formatted repository of publicly-reported breaches).

John P. Sturgis - Security Program Consultant

University Information Security Office
University of South Carolina
1300 Pickens St, 266A
Columbia, SC 29208
803.777.1265
sturgis () sc edu<mailto:sturgis () sc edu>