Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Initial Phishing Simulation - Do you tell them first?

From: Ken Connelly <ken.connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 07:27:46 -0500

We billed our exercise as "phishing education". Not only did we announce
in advance, but I went to various leadership groups for different
categories of employees and explained what we were planning to do, why
it was important, and that nothing about the exercise would be punitive.
All groups bought in and the exercise was very successful in raising
awareness and knowledge.

Here's the followup webpage that I shared with the community after it
was all over.

https://it.uni.edu/phishing-education

We're going to do a reprise this coming academic year on a less-frequent
schedule.

- ken