Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Access to Porn sites?

From: Babak Oskouian <boskouia () MILLS EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 07:13:39 -0700

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions. While discussing this
subject, I want to bring up liability issues as well. One of the concerns
we had was the fact that children on our campus can easily get on our Guest
network (via a self-registration process) and thus have access to anything
Internet offers. What are the implications of that? How likely is a law
suit filed by a disgruntled parent, for example?
Another concern is 18 U.S. Code  2258A.  As you know 18 U.S. Code  2258A
explicitly requires all Internet providers to report any and all digital
viewing, downloading and possession of child pornography to the National
Center for Missing and Exploited Children. Very stiff penalties ($150,000
first incidence, and $300,000 second incidence) are imposed on any provider
for failure to report.  Do you think (or has your legal counsel explicitly
assured you) that your institute is exempt form this law?

Babak