Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Contact Tracing Software

From: Jeff Choo <jeff_choo () WILLIAMJAMES EDU>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2020 22:12:18 +0000

Hi Dave,

What Contact Tracing Software are your considering or have reviewed?

  *   Pre-build Microsoft Power Apps
  *   Our current Entry/Door security software
  *   Envoy.com
  *   We end up building our own using power apps that scans college id number from college id badges, where the
scanning stations are placed at a few controlled entry points to the campus, monitored by receptionists.  All other
entries are locked for entry.

What privacy concerns do you have with the screening process and data that can be collected?

  *   We are only collecting scanned ID number and the time of scanning.  The identify of the person itself is not
stored within the system, and only be revealed when contact tracing is needed.  Guests who don't have an college ID
will have to sign a paper based visitor form with name, phone, and email address as required by state law.

Who is the primary administrator of the system?  Are they from IT or from another department such as a Risk Manager,
Campus Security, etc.

  *   A small task force is formed for COVID and only task force members have access to the scanned log.

Any challenges from any employment groups use (especially if Opt-In is not an option)?

  *   The only challenge we have encountered so far are the id scanners are not sensitive enough and the worn out id
badges need to be replaced or else it won't scan...

Regards

Jeff Choo
Director of Information Technology, Information Security Officer
William James College
1 Wells Avenue, Newton MA, 02459
E: Jeff_Choo () williamjames edu<mailto:Jeff_Choo () williamjames edu>
I am interested in who has implemented or is considering implementing Contact Tracing Software as part of the process
of allowing students on campus.  If you are:

What Contact Tracing Software are your considering or have reviewed?
What privacy concerns do you have with the screening process and data that can be collected?
Who is the primary administrator of the system?  Are they from IT or from another department such as a Risk Manager,
Campus Security, etc.
Any challenges from any employment groups use (especially if Opt-In is not an option)?

Regards,
Dave Broucek
Harper College

Please visit
harpercollege.edu/advisory<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001lJfaMm2ksDrNnBYDcXpnepFtWEHdSgqkd3aywYxxSxNWOmSZKT4MzwjqLVP5F71amh2JTT6uJkx-o7-ix0cI4GlDr5QJiWDNi1GmzH_rX-UfgA8NSb02m1VWhKUit8KNYzqmIUSYP8airqrnBsuPXpAt_S2vWFvGvGu9T52vvKpPTD0bF5C1Hw==&c=X5xLWrv0KpPID7ySbF7JTlnHWdEcfYiZIWNP-mwwjfxHTKmGZsZETQ==&ch=cft84zX5CxPw5BAyunn42BxHTvQKtX-ZU21IW8T8mXjKJ6y1FhD9_A==>
 for the latest on Harper College's COVID-19 response.

This message may contain confidential information intended only for the individual named. If you received this message
by mistake, please let the sender know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system. If you are not the intended
recipient you are hereby notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the
contents of this information is strictly prohibited.