Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: TCP buffers in firewalls

From: chuck yerkes <Chuck () yerkes com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:10:19 -0500 (EST)

I know that in the previous major version of Checkpoint, the
proxies' performance was, er, minimal.

If it's your machine, try another proxy (TIS httpd-gw, squid
(without caching), whatever) on the firewall.

Checkpoint seems, to me, to be designed to be a screening router
primarily with proxies put in as an afterthought.

I do know that an Ultra with FW-1 can handle 100baseT ok.
It could either be a TCP issue, but likely is a 'proxy
that sucks' issue.

chuck

It is claimed, but unverified, that Stout, William wrote:

I had a situation where a firewall locked up repeatedly during high
traffic periods and required hard reboots.  The firewall was a
Checkpoint FW-1 on an UltraSparc where the Internet feed was a 10Mb
Ethernet link.  The machine behind that was an Alphaserver serving
banner ads.  This was a operational failure, not an attack.