Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: TCP buffers in firewalls

From: "Stout, William" <StoutW () pios com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:21:04 -0500

(Un) Fortunately it's not mine.  This particular site pulled the
firewall completely, and now depends on Cisco filtering (fixed part of
the problem).  I'll use double-click (gifserver) as an example of
multiple (TCP connection-oriented) sessions to the server from an
ungodly number of webpages.  Being connection-oriented http/tcp gif
links, once each browser establishes a connection to the server, the
sessions stays up until the gif or cookie exchange is complete.
Meanwhile the gif database or service app slows or is overloaded, many
other attempted tcp sessions are queued up.  Potentially a firewall
trying to keep track of each session throws up it's hands and quits.  ;)

I'm rather curious if this is a problem in general, where 'excessive'
current and attempted sessions (small packets) will crash a firewall.
Also if firewalls which actually try to track session state are more or
less vulnerable, and if it's a stack issue fixable by a simple tuning
parameter.

If a hacker wants to affect something remotely, he figures out what it
reacts to.  If he knows a firewall must 'do work' when tracking
sessions, he might be able to overload it (by flooding protected
systems) if there's no protection mechanism, or if it's designed to
restart/shutdown on overload.  This might only be an issue if public
servers (http, ftp, etc) are behind a firewall, and their aggregate
session capacity is higher than what the firewall can handle.

Bill Stout
  1998 will be the year of natural disasters