Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: signing applets a solution? Never!

From: Hal <hal () mrj com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:57:38 -0500

I took some time to read the paper you referenced.  Yes, there are  infinite sources of cleverness and clever people.
NCSC strove to  perfect a clean environment carefully closing each avenue by which a trojan horse might be introduced.
A perfect example of deconstructionism and it failed. Too expensive, formal proofs-of-security not up to the job,
administration, a nightmare. So then what's left?  Industry is simply moving ahead gates ajar!

I heard recently about a large military think tank which had forbid any applets at all except onces that they had
checkout and cached internally. Nothing directly from outside.  This worked for about a month and was dropped.  Their
users wouldn't put up with it. So they decided to take the risk, roll the dice, (whatever metaphor you like) and hope
(or trust) that they weren't going to get wacked. Still they search for a solution as do we all.

BTW (I don' remember the study title Thompson asked about but I do remember that the trojan horse was carefully
disguised as a microcode fix.  It was packaged exactly as other routine patches, even to the extent of reproducing
exact matches of  internal company control forms and wrapping.. The package was "placed" into the on-sight Customer
Engineer's in-basked who then installled it in the target Multics.
Very neat.)