Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PPTP viability (was RE: Gauntlet & NTLM)

From: Craig Brozefsky <craig () onshore com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:21:48 -0500

On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Philip Cox wrote:

An aside. I have a situation in which I am seriously considering using PPTP
because it is availible today*. This would be in a sensitive and possibly
classified environment. The desire is to have mutual authentication of
client and server, along with traffic encryption. I have an off the shelf
app which is a client-server model, and I don't (can't) modify the app for
say SSL support. I would be interested in any current WORKING
implementations of network layer (host network layer that is, not
encrypting routers) or transport layer (no app mods needed) secure
communications. I have been trying to think if some, but am drawing a
blank, except PPTP.

May I suggest you check out SafePassage Secure Tunnel from www.c2.net,
the people who do Stronghold (SSLed Apache).  It runs as a seperate
process and is basically a port forwarder.  It's SSLv3 with client
certificates.  There is an eval download available.  I don't work for
them, but I just used their product to add encrpytion to a very old
legacy application for a futures trading client of ours who was operating
internationally.  It runs on Win32, Linux, *BSD and some others.

Craig Brozefsky              craig () onshore com
onShore Inc.                 http://www.onshore.com/~craig
Development Team             p_priority=PFUN+(p_work/4)+(2*p_cash)
I hear my inside, the mechanized hum of another world - Steely Dan