Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Frame relay security

From: cbrenton <cbrenton () sover net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 23:45:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Lyndon David wrote:

They said, we asked our frame relay provider if they are secure and they
said yes and we believe them.

<EG> Yup, ask any vendor, they'll tell you the same. Can you imagine them
telling you otherwise?

This is a process issue. If I develop something, of course I'm going to
tell you it is secure unless I know I've created a back door. This does
not mean that someone will not catch something else that I've missed.

So to cut a long and tedious conversation short I would very much like
to hear from anyone stories of how frame relay connections have been
tampered with so that the traffic can be listened to. Listening is
enough, the data does not have to be changed.

I've done this by accident myself and I think someone mentioned to me that
there is an article over on Phrack. Just change the DLCI number of your
connection to another number used by someone else on the same switch.
You'll start receiving a copy of all their inbound frames.

If this does not convince them, describe what "public network" means. ;)

Cheers,
Chris