Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Media Responsibility

From: mcwilkin <mcwilkin () twcable com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 17:21:39 -0600 (MDT)

Hi all-

I know this is a bit off [topic] but I would be very interested in hearing
your points of view when it comes to how the media reports alleged cracker
break-ins and what you feel thier responsibility is.

To be more specific, check out the claims at www.antionline.com made by an
'alleged' cracker who caused havoc at Time Warner Cable.

Although this can be taken with a grain of salt, the story is regurgitated
on www.wired.com in a way that seems to glorify the crackers exploits. Can
or should we expect a magazine like Wired to be a little more responsible?

Of course,  I could by hypersensitive since it involves the company that I
work for;)

BTW-

These claims were completely manifested -- seems some kiddie got a hold of
a technicians laptop and stole some screen pixs.

I think it was Churchill who said,   "A lie could walk half way around the
world before the truth can get its shoes on".

Or something like that.