Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: DNS forwarding

From: "Randy Garbrick" <garbrir () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 08:47:14 PDT

Depends on the architecture.  It should be pointed at the primary DNS
server for your domain.  That could be a local server in your DMZ or the
ISP's server. However, if primary DNS is provided by your firewall then
it should be pointed at either the root servers or the ISP's server.  To
me, the decision whether to point at the ISP's server or the root would
be one of performance.  If the ISP is large, it will most likely have a
great deal of locally cached information, which would make it faster
unless it is over-used.  The round-trip time to your ISP should be much
lower than to the root and it might have the host you want cached
instead of sending you to the destination domain's primary DNS.  The
root servers will always send you to the destination domain's primary
DNS.  If the ISP is small, it is most likely just an extra hop on the
way the root.

Randy Garbrick