Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NT Authentication

From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 14:14:03 -0400 (EDT)

I have been asked a few times recently to specify a proxy which can get
Authentication from an NT domain.  This seems to be sites which are
using DHCP.

I often like to specify a FW which has an internal proxy where the
site admin team can control the insides clients Internet access.  This
means they can make all the changes for individual users and don't have
to go near the FW.  In the past I have used Wingate and IP's but more
and more sites seem to want this authentication to come from an NT
domain ala M$ Proxy server I guess.

Being no genius on NT I wondered if anyone has any other product
suggestions, alternative ways of doing this etc.  Any actual
experiences with Microsofts proxy would be good too - I think we all
know how dubious the security is, the management possibilities seem
useful though.

I know the people working on the [new! improved!] Linux port+ of PAM
were trying to put together an NT authentication module that worked
under all hosts to which PAM [Pluggable Authentication Modules, OSF RFC
86.0, AKA XSSO - X/Open Single Sign-On Service] had been ported.  I've
lost track of their progress on this.  Cf.

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO/OSIS Computer Support                                     EMT-A/B