Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: NT Authentication

From: Amirmadhi Foorood <Foorood.Amirmadhi () Columbia net>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:34:10 -0500

Hi,

I do not know if there is any scalable, NT-Domain aware, Proxy product out
there other than MSProxy or not.  I have worked with both Netscape and
Microsoft Proxy.  If you need performance, stick Netscape Proxy.  If you
need NT domain feature functionality you better stay with MSProxy.  There
are interesting futures in MS Proxy such as "Intelligent Dynamic Caching"
which is great,  and also other usual NT applications "memory leakage"
problem.

Scalability in MSProxy 2.0 is bases on the Array configuration . But in this
type of design, MSProxy would not work with other add-on product that
provide internet site control and filtering.  This feature seems to have
become very attractive in upper management's eyes in large corporations.

Assuming average Internet access per proxy-user (I can not find any
numerical normalization for it), at least excluding the video streaming, The
rule of thumb for scalability figure that I can suggest to you per a typical
NT system ( NT 4.0, Pentium Pro 200 MHz, 128 MB Memory, SCSI Disk ) running
MSProxy 2.0 is the following.

2000 proxy user for which there are 50-70 concurrent user proxy connections.
This provide good connectivity (assuming T1).
Above 70 concurrent user connections, performance will be degrading and you
need to baby-sit the MSProxy.  Let me know if you need more specific
information on this.

Foorood Amirmadhi
Columbia Information Systems