Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: ifconfig down (was Re: Recording slow scans

From: Radovan Semancik <semancik () alert sk>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:04:33 +0200

Btw, in the past people have often commented about attempts to cut the
transmit ethernet cable.  This is usually so that a host is "invisible"
to others at the ethernet level.
On my Solaris2.6 boxs I can still snoop an interface when it's marked
down. Is ifconfig down sufficient to stop me from transmitting?
At the IP (Network layer) the answer is yes. At the Ethernet
(Logical Link Layer) the answer is no. I assume you mean anything
being transmitted, so the answer is ifconfig is NOT sufficient
to stop you from tranmitting.

If that is the case, what kind of protocol data unit is transmited? ARP and
ICMP can be both considered to be at IP level. There is no need to transmit
anything at the ethernet data-link layer (LLC&MAC sublayers).

--
                            Radovan Semancik (semancik () alert sk)
                                  http://storm.alert.sk