Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: why isn't there a newer linux fw-howto

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 01:34:01 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Kevin T. Shivers, sie wrote:
[...]
RedHat is *very* easy to install on a machine. Some have said its better
than a Windows install, which now that i've said that isn't saying that
much. It's pretty easy.

So long as you don't have any cards which are at IRQ's and IO-MEM
combinations that it doesn't know about.  Trying to guess what it
wants when asking for "specific options" is not fun, and neither
does it tell you which CD-ROM drive it is using as "scd0" nor does
it tell you select between scd0 and scd1 to install from.

Just some minor irritations that have annoyed me recently.

[...]
FreeBSD is an excellent choice, since it is
*extremely* easy to install and it is very easy to configure for a
firewall.

FreeBSD is (still) the easiest free Unix to install.

Darren