Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Mail loging on Fw-1

From: Chris Brenton <cbrenton () sover net>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 17:40:40 -0400

Radovan Semancik wrote:

I want to log a mail transfered through FW-1 using SMTP (from the SMTP
stream, not as a mail relay).
I want to log From, To and several other headers and list of MIME
attachement types.

Is it possible to configure FW-1 in such a manner?

Not from the data stream. FW-1 simply looks at the IP header info when
dealing with SMTP. It does not look at or record the payload, even if
you enable accounting. Filtering is strictly dynamic.

You are stuck using the SMTP security server if you need this ability
although I'm not sure it will record MIME type (have not tried it).
That, or you could go through the logs for the internal mail system.

Cheers,
Chris
--
cbrenton () sover net

* Multiprotocol Network Design & Troubleshooting
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782120822/geekspeaknet
* Mastering Network Security
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782123430/geekspeaknet