Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: cable modem access

From: Asmodeus <asmodeus () benshaw com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 20:15:05 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, twalls - Troy Walls wrote:

I know this group is dedicated to helping network administrators with firewall issues that they deal with at their
workplace, however, I have a slightly different twist on my problem.  It is not directly workplace related.
I have a cable modem at home.  I have some concerns about the security of the setup.  I have this installed on a
stand alone machine whose only function is internet access.  I want to change that and put three other machines on
the cable modem through a network.  I have installed Cat 5 cable, and purchased a 10/100 hub for this activity.
I have considered a linux server as a front end and firewall, however, it will be a learning experience to get it up
an running. Is it the best option as a firewall?  Are there better options?  I have a win95, a win98, and a NT4.0
workstation that I want to put behind a firewall.
My question is how can I protect those machines.  I have another machine that I can use as a firewall box. I just
don't know what is available for my type of arrangement.

 Linux and masquerading work well (we do it here with a dialup line), and
a friend of mine uses Sygate (http://www.sygate.com)--Windows software
which to my knowledge is just masquerading, and he likes it.

.Shawn