Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ, defined.

From: "graham, randy" <randy_graham () hq dla mil>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:47:37 -0500

So now we have a language expert.  This talk about what a DMZ "really" is
seems to miss one extremely important feature of language - change.  Just
check out the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) sometime.  The meaning of a
word changes over time.  John, you no more have the right to give an
absolute definition than anyone else here.  I think beyond saying that the
DMZ is a less heavily protected region somewhere in our network arena (and
even some people might disagree with this broad use), we really aren't going
to have a general agreement on where exactly the DMZ goes.

So an area behind a/the firewall off a third NIC cannot be called a DMZ.
Why not?  Because you don't want to call it that?  I put some equipment
there, leave it open to a lot of abuse because I have to so my machines
there work, but try to offer some protection.  Why can't I call this a DMZ
if that's what I think of as the DMZ?  It is fairly open, but I restrict
what I can.  I track as well as I can what goes in and out there.  It
doesn't have any more access to my internal net than the outside world.
What's missing here?

I really don't mean to be a jerk about this (I get to be a jerk at work
enough that I don't need to act like that on mail lists to meet my daily
recommended allowance).  In fact, I've enjoyed your recent postings and
learned quite a bit these past couple of days.  But please don't tell me how
I can define a term.  As long as everyone with whom I speak knows how I use
the term, it should be fine.  I do know now what you mean by DMZ, but I
don't use the term the same.  As long as we know this about each other, we
can communicate effectively, and that is where we really need to be.

Randy Graham