Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: DMZ, defined.

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <proberts () clark net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:49:47 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, graham, randy wrote:

Very good response (and civil, thank you).  I don't have sufficient

I'm slipping ;)

[snip]

_MUST_ make some allowances for their vocabulary.  If they are using a term
wrong and you want to correct them, fine.  But at least try to give some
room for their definition.

Normalization of common terms is important.  Sometimes though, people get
stuck in personal nitpick mode.  For instance, I *still* correct people
about 50% of the time when they try to tell me a 56kbps modem is a 56k
*baud* modem.  Popular usage has completely negated the meaning and value
of the term baud.  It's no longer (if it ever was) very critical to know
the true baud rate of a modem, so the "value" of my correction is
normally pretty low.  In firewalling though, a misunderstanding by
someone, especially someone with little experience can be rather
dramatic.

I don't know if modem engineers now use a different term to
mean what baud meant, if they just look down their noses at their
marketing departments when they misuse the term, or if they won't talk to
people in the elevators if they misuse the term.  A lot of people have
missed an oppertunity to have their curiousity piqued by the mismatch in
bps and baud rates and dig in and learn something about a technology they
depend on.

Technical and common usages can differ, and in a technical forum, I'd
expect to be corrected for applying common usage (even if I didn't know
the difference.)

Besides bringing up a new way to bore folks at dinner, pointing out that
1200 and 2400 bps modems have the same baud rate can serve to give some
insight into how an important part of most of our infrastructures function.
When I don't want to bore the rest of the table, or if I know the rest of
the table has heard it a bazillion times before, I'll just say "bps not
baud dammit!"  It's not very civil (there go all my dinner invitations!),
and it may not even have a great deal of value to the person speaking,
but every once in a while it'll spark some interest in someone to
actually learn about the lower-layer protocols they're using, and that
makes it a good thing (to me -but probably not to many other people.)

If you do take your car to your mechanic and tell him you think the spark
plug wire is bad, and then explain or point out the him what you really
mean, he will correct you.  He won't afterwards go off and change the spark
plug wires to see if that fixes your problem.  He knows now what you were
referring too, he has corrected your use of the term, and he has moved on to
the real problem.  He doesn't work on the wrong thing just because you used
the wrong term, __provided__ you communicated in less/non-technical terms
and he understood what you really meant.  You've learned something, he's

This, or course depends on your mechanic's motivations ;)  However, in
this case the issue is that he won't make allowances for your usage of
the term "spark plug wire" outside of normal convention (and sometimes
it'll cost you more to get your repairs done.)

original poster was close to saying "You're using the term wrong, and I
won't work with you because you're a dummy" to the first person who made
incorrect use of the term.  I doubt that is how he intended to come across,
but he might want to lighten up a little to avoid that impression.

That's pretty much a fact of life on the Net.  It's also why some of the
best-reasoned people out there can't sell really good, fairly well-designed
security to a large portion of the population.  Since I tend to be
equally dismissive at times, I don't think I can offer any criticism in
that regard, but I find it helpful to think of the intent rather than the
tone of posts.  Rather than getting stuck on the tone, be happy with the
fact that the response turned up enough interest to give everyone a
chance to air their views and maybe learn a little (even if it's just
about human nature or who not to invite to dinner.)

Oh, and I don't think anyone would call any part of the network Grape
Kool-aid, but I could be wrong   :-)

Hmmmmm:

[root@gargoyle /root]# nslookup 10.1.1.0
Server:  gargoyle
Address:  0.0.0.0

Name:    grape.kool-aid
Address:  10.1.1.0

Oops!

(Yes, I really did that)

Paul
Paul D. Robertson      "My statements in this message are personal opinions
proberts () clark net      which may have no basis whatsoever in fact."
                                                                     PSB#9280