Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Extreme Hacking

From: "Ge' Weijers" <ge () progressive-systems com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:40:47 -0400

On Wed, Jul 07, 1999 at 11:40:14AM -0400, Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Ge' Weijers wrote:
On the other hand: those who need to develop security-related code,
protocols etc. do need to have an awareness of common exploits.

Yes, and no. They need to know classes of bugs to avoid, and
categories of common mistakes. For example, if you're developing
security critical code you need to know what buffer overruns are
and how to prevent them -- you do not need an exploit script that
tickles a bug in the latest version of BIND.

I've used exploit programs to test my company's products before, and I
probably will again. Descriptions of problems are not always enough to
reconstruct _exactly_ what's going on in an exploit. A program
(fragment) is often the most concise description of an exploit.

I agree that we don't need to make things too easy for the script
kiddies.

Ge'

--
-
Ge' Weijers                                Voice: (614)326 4600