Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Pix crashing with ISS snmp checks

From: David LeBlanc <dleblanc () mindspring com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:42:31 -0500

At 01:40 PM 3/4/99 -0500, Eric Budke wrote:

Out of curiosity, how well can one determine where/when ISS stopped
checking. The /tmp logs seem to give some indication, but nothing concrete,
and unless I'm running a sniffer on the net at the same time, how does one
go about determining which state your at.

There are two things you need to look at - one is the service scan, and the
other is that actual scan itself.  The actual scan will log things to
%installdir%\tmp\[session name]_[dotted IP].tmplog, and the same format
with a suffix of .sslog will log the service scan.  Both log files will
contain timestamps at various points.  What I like to do is run a tail -f
on the logs while monitoring the host you're looking at.  Couple that with
a ping -t, and you should be able to nail it pretty closely.

As Ted stated, the thing to do is divide and conquer - if you can't nail it
by watching the logs, start turning things off until you have one thing
that does it.

David LeBlanc
dleblanc () mindspring com