Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: InfoSec Consultant Liability Question

From: "Joe Dauncey" <j_dauncey () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 12:54:41 +0100

Frank,

You shouldn't focus your efforts on insurance, but on stressing to your
clients the risk element of security. How much money do they want to spend
on lowering the risk ? You will never ever get a completely secure
site/implementation, and if your clients are under any impression of this
then you probably need to put more work into explaining this to them.

Your role is to explain what measures can reduce risk, not how to prevent
them from being compromised. At the end of the day it is their fault if they
get compromised because they probably weren't prepared to spend the cash to
eliminate the risk in the area in which they were compromised.

However, if you tell them that a Windows 98 client is a reliable firewall,
then I guess that you could be asking for it !!

Is this view controversial ? I hope not !!

Cheers,
Joe Dauncey

j_dauncey () hotmail com