Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: "Steven Osman" <sosman () terratron com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 07:02:29 -0500

Reid,

Your statement is assuming that a hacker will use his designated IP address
to perform the hacking.  That's like saying "well, if we get hacked over a
dialup connection, we'll just trace the call and then there is no question
about who to blame!"  The more seasoned hacker will do something to cover
his tracks before stepping out into the world.

Why not start by scanning what IPs are available, starting from your subnet,
to see which can make it out onto the internet, and THEN start wreaking
havoc?

You may find unallocated IPs, and you may find someone's IP who has powered
down his equipment.

Steven Osman
Terratron Technologies Inc.