Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Newspaper Article about Cable Modem security

From: Saso <Saso () vsecureit net>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 22:02:00 +0100

Hi Russ,

In message <84813DB48E28D211978700A0C9B55834429AF5 () mail cooper com>, Russ@coope
r.com writes:
<opinion>
Your example at the end of the paragraph is the perfect reason why security
shouldn't be left to average users.  It's very easy for you to say that
everyone should be responsible because you understand it.  Most people don't
think like computers, and to try to force them to understand that they "need
to filter BO by closing ports" is like speaking german to them.

I have to say I completely agree with you on this. A customer doesn't care
much what BO is and what it isn't and the usual customer wants to keep it this
way. Most ISP customers are computer illiterate and frankly, they don't care
how things work as long as they work the way they expect them to.

As an ISP, you have to keep your customers happy and let them do everything
their heart desires. Sooner or later that collides with the level of security
that should be set. For instance, some customers on cable want to share their
hard drives with their friends, but they can't because ISP closed port 139
(@Home example by R. Graham). Before we took that step, we had to consider two

        one, we could keep our hands off things and leave customers on mercy of
those zillions of script kiddies that roam the 'Net.

        two, we could go out of our way, knowing not many will stumble across
it, but will definitely be angry about it, and just filter the port.

By taking option numer 1, your tech support will hear from all the angry
customers whose important documents found a way to a local news group and soon
newspapers will tear you apart because you didn't take enough care about your
users.

By taking option number 2, your tech support will hear from all the angry
customers who can't share their precious MP3 collection with their friends.
And many their friends know someone in local newspaper what will scream
'oppression!'.

ISP involving themselves in security issues can't gain a thing. And quite
frankly, I don't think ISPs should do anything more than they can if a
customers asks them to.

If a customer wants port 139 to be closed for his xDSL line, why not. But if
they don't want it to, it's their own decision and they should be well aware
of that.

A "generic" security option from an ISP is probably sufficient for most
users who just want to surf the web and get email and ICQ.  But for more
advanced users I see more of a service approach to the problem.

Question is, how generic a generic security would be. Should we stop just by
well-known ports like 135, 138, 139, 12345, 2140, 31337 or should we go a step
further? How far?

We are taking the false move here. We all take major security flaws in OSs as
if it was the only way it could be. We move the responsibility for customer
security from computer vendors to ISPs. It is like we would move the
resposibility for car safety from car manufacturers to the organisation that
maintains the roads.

ISPs provide what their name says == Internet services. Yes, S in ISP stands
for services, not security. I for one expect from my OS vendor to provide me
secure out-of-the-box OS. I still keep hope for that day to come. ;)

Why shouldn't computers work the same way?  People can choose to have
generic security from their ISP, or they can choose to have none, or they
can install a firewall themselves, or they can hire an outside company to
monitor, update and maintain the firewall.

Yes, I agree. Customers should be able to choose. In a perfect world,
they could chose between an ISP that will give them different 'security plans'
and the ISP that will lock them up inside his fort and an ISP that will leave
them alone in the great wide open. The first one would probably be perfect for
the accountant type, the second one for the paranoid ones and the third one
for the adventurers.

But it's all Sysiphus work as long as computer vendors don't join the dance.
Your ISP can't protect you from yourself or the bug farm you have on your
computer. And that is where it all began in the first place.

Regards,

Saso