Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Win 2000 any better?

From: Mikael Olsson <mikael.olsson () enternet se>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 14:00:33 +0100

I'd just like to point out a couple of things regarding security
here...

1. Win2000 might have more nifty security policies and editors in place,
but that does not constitute security in and of itself.

2. Most attacks that we see today have NOTHING to do with setting
object-based security in operating systems.

3. Most attacks today are based on BUGS in the operating systems
and applications.

4. The average programmer goofs up (causes a bug) on average in
1-3 places per 1000 lines of code.

5. Win2000 introduces some 15 million (more? little less?) lines
of new code.

6. Go figure what's secure or not until it's been running for a while
and a couploe of one hundred new bugs have been found and corrected.