Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Reverse proxy ??

From: "Eric Toll" <etoll () syracusesupply com>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 22:53:51 -0500

What I gave was an example. I was just trying to point out that
in general a reverse proxy has to be told what to do, and here is a paste
from novell, I can do it both ways, inside or outside the firewall.

HTTP Accelerator or Reverse Proxy

The proxy server can be configured as an HTTP accelerator to protect an intranet server
from the Internet and reduce the load on the public Web servers maintained on the
intranet. HTTP acceleration, also known as reverse proxy cache acceleration or Web
server acceleration, creates a front-end processor to a Web server. An HTTP
accelerator server lies between one or more Web servers and the Internet and
represents the Web servers to any clients accessing them. An HTTP accelerator can
also be used to create a local mirror site of a remote server.

When the Internet user queries DNS for the Web server address, it returns the address
of the requested Web server. The HTTP accelerator listens for HTTP requests on port
80 (or another configured port) and processes all incoming Web requests. Requests for
objects that can be cached---static information that does not change often, such as
HTML pages and GIF images---are processed by the proxy. Requests for objects that
cannot be cached---dynamic information that changes frequently---are processed by the
origin Web server on port 80. In general, approximately 90 percent of a typical Web
server content is static and 10 percent is dynamic.

You can set up an HTTP accelerator server to retrieve information or references to
cachable objects from a Web server and cache the information on a BorderManager
server. This reduces loading on the Web server. The HTTP accelerator server forwards
only requests and references that are not in the cache to the Web server.

If your site receives requests for a high percentage of objects that can be cached, the
HTTP accelerator reduces the Web load. For even greater performance, you can cache
objects of a more volatile nature, such as stock quotes, and specify an accuracy delay
time to users.

BorderManager reverse proxy can handle more TCP connections than an origin Web
server (typically UNIX or Windows NT).

HTTP acceleration has the following benefits:

     Provides caching for Web servers
     Reduces the load on the Web servers and speeds them up
     Protects Web servers
     Protects IP networks in conjunction with the other BorderManager services

<Richard.Smyth () nokia com> 11/03/99 07:55PM >>>