Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Network Monitors

From: Matt Dunn <matt () electrocentric com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 16:27:28 -0500

We're currently evaluating a product called SiteScope from Freshwater
Software (http://www.freshwater.com) It can monitor HTTP, HTTPS, Database
Connections, DNS, FTP, SMTP, POP(3?), NNTP, Ping, and custom port monitors.
The version I've got (unfortunately) is NT, but they offer a UN*X version
as well.

On the notification side, you're options are decent too (e-mail, pager,
SNMP trap, recovery script)

So far, the software has (believe it or not) exceeded our expectations in
both capability and ease of use, and given what companies get for software
like this these days, it's reasonably priced.

FYI, I don't work for Freshwater, nor am I associated with them. As a
matter of fact, I got my hands on their software and let it sit for three
months without installing it while I wrote my own monitor in Perl. Now I'm
going to throw out the one I wrote. Oh well. :)

Hope this helps,

-Matt