Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: free s/wan (really interoperability)

From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 13:23:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

Ron DuFresne had asked:
Are there any VPN products that do not require the same setup on both ends
to impliment?  (i.e. VPN products that are cross-compatible with other
products out there)

There is IPsec VPN server software out there that is sold without a
client - one is directed to several other companies that make IPsec
clients.  So it would seem that the answer, probably with some caveats,
is, "yes."

If you consider 'ssh' tunnels to be VPNs [you can do PPP through them],
then there are also multiple implementations of 'ssh' and 'sshd'.

Okay, I can see the point here with sshd and the various ssh
implementations.  But, I'm more looking at this from a slightly different
perspective.  free s/wan as I understand it requires another free s/wan
box on the otherside of the connection.  I'm trusting the same is the case
with cisco's VPN solution<s> and most likely with FW1's implementation, as
well as many of the other offerings.  Are any as flexible or nearly as
flexible in interoperability as the ssh/sshd implementations mentioned
thus far?

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne
--
        admin & senior consultant:  darkstar.sysinfo.com

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
                -- Johnny Hart

testing, only testing, and damn good at it too!