Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Export restrictions for Embargo-ed countries

From: Bennett Todd <bet () rahul net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 13:37:14 -0400

2000-04-25-13:18:09 Aaron Turner:
Like if someone from say Cuba downloaded PGP from pgp.com, who
did the actual exporting?  NAI or the Cuban?  Who is liable?  The
gov't seems intent that it's NAI's "fault" and that they are
liable.

It's worth noting that the recent changes in the US Gov't policy
have rewritten this stuff.

As far as I know, the current policy is that commercial,
proprietary code requires licensing for export, but for open source
stuff you only need to email some address at the gov't telling them
the URL where you're putting it up for download. Furthermore the
current regs explicitly state that while transfer to the half-dozen
or so embargoed countries is forbidden, someone putting up code on a
website is _not_ obliged to assist in enforcing that restriction.

Offhand I don't have a URL, but I'm pretty sure it was discussed
into the ground on slashdot.

-Bennett