Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Disabling RPC on a Sun U-60

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:25:54 -0400

The date command used to use RPC services.

Back when I used to build firewalls, the trick I used to debug
mysterious hangs-on-boots was to put a "set -x" at the first line
of /etc/rc and /etc/rc.local, etc. That way you'll get a running
commentary as the system boots and you'll see where it's
stuck. Some UNIXes don't attach rc's standard error to the
console, so then you need to replace /etc/rc with one that
does an sh -x /etc/rc.real >/dev/console 2>&1 as a temporary fix.

mjr.
---
Marcus J. Ranum Chief Technology Officer, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
     work: http://www.nfr.net
personal: http://www.clark.net/pub/mjr