Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Disabling RPC on a Sun U-60

From: "Chuck Swiger" <chuck () codefab com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 12:47:24 -0400

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 17:29:05 -0400 (EDT), Nicholas Tang wrote:
Our security admin has had repeated problems with disabling RPC on Sun
Ultra-60's running Solaris 2.6.  After disabling it, he says telnet and
some other tcp services start hanging.

If the purpose of disabling RPC was to improve the security of this system,
shouldn't you also turn off telnetd (and rshd/rexecd) in favor of ssh?

In any event, check /etc/nsswitch.conf, and make sure that you are not using
NIS for any services because NIS lookups will want to connect to the ypserv
RPC service via a portmapper lookup.

-Chuck

       Chuck 'Sisyphus' Swiger | chuck () codefab com | Bad cop!  No Donut.
       I know that you are an optimist if you think I am a pessimist....