Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist () ekahuna com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 01:16:54 -0800

On 16 Feb 00, at 12:56, Bennett Todd boldly uttered:

Allowing forged source addrs in and out of your nets is bad hygiene.

I agree in many ways, but there are *some* cases where it can
be legit and useful: ie some kinds of network troubleshooting,
or for that matter, testing for things like smurf vulnerability :-)

And if DDoS attacks couldn't used forged source addrs, they couldn't
use smurf to amplify their effects, and they couldn't be reused at
all; the moment a victim starts capturing packets, they'd have the
source addrs of all the machines in the attackers DDoS net --- and
building those nets remains the relatively hard prep work for
mounting one of these attacks. If we had universal ingress
filtering, the moment someone started launching one of these the
victim could start contacting the compromised sites, and if they
refused to address their problem they could request that the streams
by blocked by the compromised sites' providers.

Seems to me that the packet-authentication aspect of IPv6
would go a long way toward making sure you can track the
source of packets too.

IPv6 would solve a variety of things, including to help
track down spammers.  I'm thinking maybe we should start
pushing for faster adoption of it.  I wonder how many
organizations used the Y2K upgrade opportunity to install
IPv6-compatible hardware on their networks.