Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Recent Attacks

From: Ryan Russell <ryan () securityfocus com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 22:01:27 -0800 (PST)

So are you suggesting that perhaps it is time software such as ISS, etc,
to not only be made available with strict controls over which targets
they can be used against (article about this went to bugtraq some time
ago) but also be required for those buying the product/license keys
in order to undertake such work ?  I think this is almost a inevitable.
I can't see why professionals would object to this - every `respectable'
procession has some sort of official "badging" which is required before
you practice in it.

Because then if I want to write a tool, I have to take on the
responsibility of serial numbering, licensing, probably some sort of
insurance, etc.. which means I can't do it for free anymore, can't release
source...

It's going to squash the little guys.

It may in fact be inevitable, but it sucks.

                                        Ryan